But, as you can imagine, five women come with five sets of... opinions.... and hormones, (not to mention any names, it was all of us, really... but one of us was pregnant, one of us did have a boyfriend fighting forest fires, two of us were teenagers, three of us were extremely hormonal at that time...) You get the picture.
Along the way, we relied upon the internet for driving directions. As we carefully followed them step by step, we felt further and further from our desired destination. As it became apparent that we were lost, Mom brought out the phrase that we have quoted ever since, as she tried to give us a serious teaching moment...
"Well girls, this is proof... YOU CAN NEVER TRUST TECHNOLOGY." She proceeded to drive directly to our destination on instinct alone.

However untrue her phrase may seem for the most part, there are times when I feel their truth.
December 9, 2009... I took a big gamble and picked out a watch for my dear husband's Christmas gift. It was only available online, but shipped within a week's time. I worried over my choice day and night, but when the package arrived on my doorstep 8 days later, I was excited. I opened the box to find a watch that looked entirely different from the one that I ordered. ENTIRELY different.
Fearful that it may be too late to receive the correct watch, frustrated and disappointed, I called Customer Service. It wasn't long until the gentleman on the other end clearly understood the depth of my distress. He promptly assured me that he would get me the correct watch before Christmas, overnight, in fact.
Well, 3 days later (not overnight) I received package #2 on my doorstep. Inside, the watch that I found looked oddly familiar. Familiar for the wrong reason. It was identical to the wrong watch they sent me the first time. Okay. Now I'm angry. Really? Again? It's December 21st.
Jab (that was her name) at Customer Service described to me, in detail, what the watch would look like that she was going to overnight to me... blue leather band... blah blah blah. Her description matched the watch I had ordered, and she understood clearly how upset that I was in receiving the wrong watch twice. She heard this was my husband's only Christmas gift from me. I THOUGHT she understood.
Watch #3 appeared on my doorstep December 23rd.
My mother's words, " you can NEVER TRUST TECHNOLOGY," rang in my ears loud and clear. Sometimes you can trust technology. It helps us with a lot of things. But this Christmas, I learned the hard way that indeed, you can't always trust technology.
***************************************
Note: I NEVER received the correct watch. I don't recommend using MACY'S online. To anyone. EVER.
Other than the watch mishap (which we are obviously still recovering from) we had a GREAT Christmas.. did you?

8 comments:
Like my mama always says "The proof is in the puddin." I will trust technology when technology trusts me.
Hahaha great post lis so funny. This version wasn't QUITE as good as the Christmas Eve one but....it was still hilarious. You really can't always trust technology. What wise words from mother...haha. love it.
What a total nightmare! Why didn't you just DRIVE to Macy's? Wouldn't that have been a lot easier? And then you could have listened to Soul Cake on the way...
(I know, it's getting old, but not really, right?)
I guess the best part of the story I never included... Apparently the watch that I ordered doesn't exist. Not in stores. Not in the Macy's warehouse, not anywhere. That was a little cherry on top :)
Oh Lis, you and your firefighter boyfriend. :)
This story is so hilarious, not to mention so bizarre! I don't get how the lady was describing back to you YOUR watch, but yet they don't make it? Macy's has gotta get their head on straight if they hope to compete in today's world.
Love you Lis. Thanks for sharing!
Hahahaha!!! I'm laughing so hard (outloud) right now. My roommates are asking what's so funny. (i miss having you as a roomie). Love ya!
haha Lisa that is so funny! Well, funny because it didn't happen to me!! Glad to hear that you had a good Christmas other than the watch incident. Miss you!
You really never can trust technology, except we order stuff all the time and hardly ever have troubles-next time just let me do the ordering for you! Love you Lisa-miss you so much!
Post a Comment