Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Small Town

6 months ago I moved to a small town. Some of the wonderful surprises of this town include:

*Going for a run and passing 2 large milk cows on the corner
*Listening to my half-farmer/half-not-farmer neighbor's chickens, turkeys, and cats whine at 3 AM each night
*Pulling up to a shop on Main Street with a huge banner reading OPEN only to find the place abandoned with the hours posted: Wed, Fri, and Sat, 11am-6pm 
*Pulling up to the next shop and finding a tattered piece of paper with the words, "If the door is locked, ring the doorbell" scrawled next to the handle
*A peculiar 1920's looking gas station with old cars parked out front near the pump, but no indication if the station actually supplies gasoline. We still haven't figured it out.
*Across the street, an old 50's diner called "SPARKY'S" that IS legitimately vintage, not new, trying to be vintage.

There are countless other treasures that I find on a daily basis living in this beautiful little town including the dollar movie theater with a stage and the quaint little neighborhood bakery.

You ask if my little town has Christmas Spirit along with all of these wonderful quirks? Why of course!


This was what made my day today... I took these photos with my phone as I discreetly followed Santa's helper through the craft store. I love this place.

6 comments:

Grapefruit said...

Was that her actual shirt? Talk about Christmas spirit! I mean, I love Christmas and all, but...

I love movie theaters w/stages. Remember them from when I was little. You never see that anymore. Enjoy it, along with the open-but-really-closed gas stations!

Nield Family said...

Ah I too can relate oh so well! That is so funny.

Rachel said...

hahaha wow. that is priceless. congrats on getting the picture afterall :)

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Haha. I love that you're photo stalking a Santa Lady. Who wears that stuff in public any way?

Linds Forrest said...

ha ha ha!! Oh I loved your list, but even better was the picture, wait 3 pictures of the santa lady. Oh Lis, you are so great!

Sunshine Day said...

LIsa, does that little elf know you were following her with a camera!?! Hilarious!! Great post.