Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Expectations

Before I got to motherhood, I thought that it was weird when moms narrated their babies' thinking.

I thought that it was kind of sick when moms let their kids have messy faces all the time.

I thought that it was interesting how moms talked to their kids like adults, when they clearly didn't understand a word they were saying.

I vowed never to play that annoying Barney music with children chanting in my car.

I thought that I would do her laundry separately from mine, and that she would use her own bathroom.

Oh and I would not have crumbs and food smashed in every crevice of my car.

Confession... I've done all of these this week. And I am not even ashamed. I shouldn't claim that this is a confession. It's just a realization that I am being the mom that I thought I never would be.

I guess that's what this little laugh will do to a person...

And when she's on the move... she's all I'm thinking about. When when she's not on the move, she's all I'm thinking about. It's ALL about HER.

And being her mom is worth all of the raised eyebrows I get, (or give to myself) in the moments when I don't believe I'm actually carrying around a dirty diaper in my bag, without realizing it. (so nasty.)

10 comments:

Becky said...

This is an AMAZING post. I love every word in it. I feel the same way (but I am still on the other side of it)

Mary is the cutest stinkin' baby EVER!!!!!

Jennifer Lane said...

So cute Lis. And I love the picture of Mary in her crib. She is so dang cute.

The Nielsens said...

She is so beautiful Lisa...I need to see you guys soon!

Kelly and Melissa said...

That is the cutest face. I really don't think I've seen anything cuter. I'm sure I will be in for a big surprise too. I miss you too! I will be around this weekend...call me.

Emily and Alan said...

She could not get any cuter Lise! I'm so glad I finally get to see you next weekend.

Grapefruit said...

Welcome to the club!

mjm said...

i think the mark of a good mom is one who DOES let her kids run around with messy faces, not caring an ounce what anyone else will think!

i love you lis. i'm certain you are a great mom. and mary is just too darn cute! can't wait to see both of you on saturday!

Emma said...

I love these pictures!

Nield Family said...

She is so big! It seems like yesterday we were all staying there helping the newborn! I miss her, soon very soon!

Larsens said...

Isn't it the truth all the things you would never think now you do them all! She is the cutest girl i have ever seen. Lets get together really!!