Wednesday, April 13, 2011

High Heels and a Big Heart

Part One: Heart
We are trying to hold family home evening and teach Mary a lesson each week. Mary has enough of an attention span to listen for about 5 minutes, maybe 10 if it includes pictures. Last week we taught her about this:

The First Vision. I showed Mary this picture and pointed to Jesus and Heavenly Father. I told her who they are, and that they are the ones who listen to her prayers every day. She stared intently at the picture, looked at me, crossed her chubby little hands over her chest and said,

"I feel dat in my heart."

She repeated it again when I recounted it.

"Yeah, I feel dat in my heart." So quietly and reverently.

I have never said anything like that to her. It was one of those moments that I realized how close children are to the things that matter most.




Yesterday Ashton was fussing a little bit and I hear Mary talking in a high-pitched baby voice, "Hey Ash boy, I hear you. Yes, I hear you. It's alright. Yes I'm here. I'm here Ash Boy."

Last night she didn't want to go to bed unless "Ashton Boy" was lying
"wight there in dat bed by me!!"



Part 2: High Heels
Mary got a new pair of high heels she can call her very own. I am such a nice mom... she got to pick every single part of her outfit, including her accessories, and she didn't even have to ride in the cart (all of which can be quite a struggle with this little princess.)
Well, I should say that she has such a nice Dad, because without him, we wouldn't have had this luxury of walking everywhere at the grocery store. In this video, Jon is ahead of us pushing a 10 foot long plastic car cart with nothing in it but Ashton. It was a fun family excursion to the case-lot sale. I had a cart of my own, and a Mary to chase. (Good thing about the high heels is, she can't run very fast in them!)

I hate viewing movies with my head tilted to the side, so if you do too, don't watch this. If you don't mind a 60 second neck kink, then go ahead and watch Mary show off her fancy grocery store outfit.



9 comments:

Rachel said...

Touching. And thanks for the videos. Just what I needed to keep me going. This whole school thing is getting old. But Mary never does. And Ashton? He can't sit up can he? Gosh they are so cute. They're going to grow up so fast when I go away :( Loved this. Love you. And LOVE Mary's new high heels.

Deb said...

We are so lucky to have Mary and Ashton in our lives. They are just so very precious and I am so happy that we live so close. Love you guys and love those babies!

mjm said...

hahaha! she is so funny. what a fancy little girl!! kids are the best.

Nield Family said...

Love these 2 little twins. . . growing up so fast! I miss them so much. I need them. Can't wait to see them. And that heart story is so dang cute!

Jennifer Lane said...

You family is so stakin cute!

Kelly and Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! I can picture her saying that in her cute little voice. If I could kidnap your kids I would. They are too adorable! Love ya!

Kelly said...

How sweet about FHE. I bet you'll always remember that.

Becky H. said...

Ok so who takes video's of their kids in the grocery store. So cute. Loved the heart story, Mary is so adorable, and so are her parents. Love you guys!!

Beth Clayton said...

so cute that Mary. Way to go Mom...teaching and letting them be "fancy" for the grocery store. You are darling.